• Fajr: 04:43 AM
  • Maghrib: 08:30 PM
[email protected] (214) 778-1610

Receiving extra amount by claiming to be resident


Assalamualaikum wa rehmatullahi wa barkatahu.

I am a student of … University and work as a Graduate Assistant in the university. The university pays me my designated monthly salary every month after deducting federal and state taxes from it.Every in march year we are allowed to claim for a refund of the tax deducted amount. I am an International student of …University and have F-1 Visa status. The problem is that if I apply for a tax refund specifying that I am a resident of U.S I get $1000 extra in addition to my taxes which were deducted.
My question is,Is it halal to apply for the taxes and get that extra amount by claiming that one is a resident of U.S when actually he’s not a permanent resident but residing in U.S on a F-1 Visa.

May Allah reward you for your effort in clearing my confusion.
Jazakallah Khair!!!


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

We advise you to enquire regarding the exact requirements for one to be classified as a resident of the U.S for eligibility to receive the extra amount. If you meet such requirements, it is permissible for you to receive the extra amount. Otherwise, it is not permissible.[1]


[1]  وَحَدَّثَنِي يَحْيَى بْنُ أَيُّوبَ، وَقُتَيْبَةُ، وَابْنُ حُجْرٍ، جَمِيعًا عَنْ إِسْمَاعِيلَ بْنِ جَعْفَرٍ، قَالَ ابْنُ أَيُّوبَ: حَدَّثَنَا إِسْمَاعِيلُ، قَالَ: أَخْبَرَنِي الْعَلَاءُ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللهِ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ مَرَّ عَلَى صُبْرَةِ طَعَامٍ فَأَدْخَلَ يَدَهُ فِيهَا، فَنَالَتْ أَصَابِعُهُ بَلَلًا فَقَالَ: «مَا هَذَا يَا صَاحِبَ الطَّعَامِ؟» قَالَ أَصَابَتْهُ السَّمَاءُ يَا رَسُولَ اللهِ، قَالَ: «أَفَلَا جَعَلْتَهُ فَوْقَ الطَّعَامِ كَيْ يَرَاهُ النَّاسُ، مَنْ غَشَّ فَلَيْسَ مِنِّي» (صحيح مسلم، بَابُ قوْلِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: «مَنْ غَشَّنَا فَلَيْسَ مِنَّا» وكذا قي المشكاة)

And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best

(Mufti) Abdul Azeem bin Abdur Rahman




The Shar’a ruling herein given is based specifically on the question posed and should be read in conjunction with the question.


Darul Iftaa Texas bears no responsibility to any party who may or may not act on this answer and is being hereby exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused.


This answer may not be used as evidence in any Court of Law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa Texas.


Copyright 2022. Masjid Yaseen, Garland TX