• Fajr: 04.57 AM
  • Maghrib: 08:37 PM
[email protected] (214) 778-1610

Abusive Husband


My abusive husband who lives in another country came to my house asking to give another chance. However I had already given him two, and each time he was worse and more abusive than before. Prior to coming, I had told him clearly I would not let him enter, but he still did. My second chance I gave him, I was pregnant where he still abused me. 3 years later, I have our child, but I want no where near him. Will I be in sin if I don't let him enter? Do I the right to divorce him, even if he refuses or is in another country?

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
You have not mentioned in the query whether the two of you have tried marriage counseling or not.
If you have not gone through marriage counseling, we advise that you identify a local scholar or influential person and seek counseling. Talaq is the last resort after all avenues have been exhausted.
However, if you have already tried counseling, and you feel that you can no longer live with your husband due to the abuse, then you may request your husband to issue a divorce. If he does not comply with the request, then discuss the details of the abuse with local Ulama who may be able to annul the marriage.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mufti Abdul Azeem bin Abdul Rahman Khan

Copyright 2022. Masjid Yaseen, Garland TX